Sunday, November 14, 2010

News Flash:The Real Deal- Authentic New Haven Style Pizza Discovered in Vista, California

Preview of next week's review.  I was watching the San Diego Gulls 16under AAA hockey team play LA Hockey Club (Gulls ranked 24th nationally out of 150 teams, beat #7 ranked LAHC 5-3) in Escondido today.  When the game was over, I  realized I was pretty close to Vista, so I looked up the address of Urbn Pizza.  I know we just visited Bruno's and pizza once a week is probably more than enough.  We were planning to go to the Urban Restaurant in North Park next week but I was starving and the Vista location was only 10 minutes away.  What the heck.

The picture is of the "chuck-a-puck" contest between the 2nd and 3rd period, in case you were wondering.

Thank you fellow San Diegan/West Haven High School mate and my sister's friend; Marcia Mickiewicz Dufour for pointing me to Urbn Pizza in Vista.

This will report is going to just be a preview since we are planning on going back to this location next Friday before the Gulls Jr. A game.   I could tell as I walked in the door I was in for something special.  There were only 2 or 3 tables occupied, but I could see from the partially eaten pizzas that they held promise.   I ordered a large half mootz with sausage and fresh tomatoes on the other half.   The menu had lots of scrumptious sounding choices including clams...mama mia!!!


I told the chef what I was doing, about my quest for a New Haven style pizza in San Diego.  He mentioned, as did my friend Marsha, that the owner is from New Haven.  He was not in today...he was down visiting one of the other restaurants.

I'll keep this short, but my experience of being in Urbn bordered on being sacred.  There is something authentic and kinda cool about being in a real pizzeria where real pizza is being created.  Kinda like being at a great old hockey rink, or a dance studio or maybe a church...it just felt like something original was going on there.

I ordered my pie...ate 2 slices right there and then drove home where over two hours later we put the pizza in the toaster oven.  It is said that pizza isn't as good at home as it served fresh out of the oven at the restaurant.  True.  Which is why I wolfed down the 1st 2 slices right there.  However, just a couple of minutes in the toaster oven and they were brought back to life.  A bit soggier than the fresh slices, but still delicious, crunchy crust and all.  They would have even been good cold out of the fridge, which will be the case for one of us to get the left over slice.

Also, Urbn serves a Connecticut traditon; Foxon Park Original sodas including White Birch Beer.  That's it there..the clear one in the middle.
When it comes to pizza it comes down to just one thing and that is the crust....and the sauce....and the cheese....   Well, that's three things.  But really it's one because it's the proper combination of these 3 elements that result in a good pie.  Urbn gets it.  I've found a pizza in San Diego, well Vista, that equals the experience of a pizza from New Haven.

We will be going back on Friday at about 6pm before the Gulls game if anyone wants to join us.  I'm looking forward to eating the whole thing fresh out of that great oven, accompanied by a few friends.   Love to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment